List of books I read in 2006. Links are to posts where I discussed the book or author, or where my reviews were published elsewhere online. I also note where reviews I wrote were published in print magazines.
1. Secrets of Rue St Roche by Janet Morgan.
2. Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.
3. Scotland and the Great War ed Catriona Macdonald.
4. Death in a White Tie by Ngaio Marsh.
5. The Somme by Peter Hart.
6. A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry.
7. The Last Damned Vampire by Steve Kelner.
8. Elidor by Alan Garner.
9. The Roses of No Man’s Land by Lyn MacDonald.
10. Days of Probation by Louise Gerard.
11. Life’s Shadow Show by Louise Gerard.
12. Barnaby by Rina Ramsay.
13. Field Service Pocket Book 1914.
14. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.
15. Some Foreign Field by Ben MacIntyre.
16. Old Soldiers Never Die by Frank Richards.
17. Artemis by Julian Stockwin.
18. Seaflower by Julian Stockwin.
19. Kept by DJ Taylor.
20. By the Mast Divided by David Donachie.
21. His Official Fiancée by Berta Ruck.
22. The Thirteen Gun Salute by Patrick O’Brian.
23. Myths and Legends of the Great War by James Hayward.
24. The Straw by Rina Ramsay.
25. A Game of Soldiers by Stephen Miller.
26. The Romance Fiction of Mills & Boon by Jay Dixon.
27. The Nutmeg of Consolation by Patrick O’Brian.
28. Karen by Mrs Alfred Sidgwick.
29. To Win a War by John Terraine.
30. Knight on Wheels by Ian Hay.
31. Behind the Lines by WF Morris.
32. Prisoners of the Kaiser by Richard van Emden.
33. A Safety Match by Ian Hay.
34. Psmith in the City by PG Wodehouse.
35. Ships in the Bay! by DK Broster.
36. The Black Riders by Violet Needham.
37. Michael O’Halloran by Gene Stratton-Porter.
38. The Life and Death of Smallpox by Ian & Jenifer Glynn.
39. The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club by Dorothy L Sayers.
40. Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster.
41. The Emerald Crown by Violet Needham
42. Captain Alatriste by Arturo Prerez Reverte
43. Nerfertiti by Nick Drake
44. Sabriel by Garth Nix
45. Lirael by Garth Nix
46. Abhorsen by Garth Nix
47. A Test of Wills by Charles Todd
48. The Creature in the Case by Garth Nix
49. The Bloodstone Papers by Glen Duncan
50. Rage by Simon Conway
51. Greenmantle by John Buchan
52. Somme by Martin Gilbert
53. Crippen by John Boyne
54. The Last Days of Newgate by Andrew Pepper
55. The Amulet of Samarkhand by Jonathan Stroud
56. Kim by Rudyard Kipling
57. Mutiny by Julian Stockwin
58. The Turf Cutter’s Donkey by Patricia Lynch
59. Mud Blood & Poppycock by Gordon Corrigan
60. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
61. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
62. The House of the Paladin by Violet Needham
63. Conseulo and Alva by Amanda MacKenzie Stuart (Reviewed in November 2006 edition of Historical Novels Review)
64. The Golem’s Eye by Jonathan Stroud
65. Ptolomey’s Gate by Jonathan Stroud
66. Sovereign by CJ Sansom
67. Ulysses by James Joyce
68. Brother William’s War by William J Watson
69. Medicus and the Disappearing Dancing Girls by RS Downie
70. The Botor Chaperone by CN and AM Williamson
71. Susannah of the Mounties by Muriel Dennison
72. Colossus by Paul Gannon
73. Envious Casca by Georgette Heyer
74. Mr Rowl by DK Broster
75. Cousin Ivo by Mrs Alfred Sidgwick
76. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
77. The Secret by Elizabeth Gill (reviewed in February 2007 edition of Historical Novels Review)
78. The turn of the Tide by Elisabeth McNeill (reviewed in February 2007 edition of Historical Novels Review)
79. The Betrayer by Violet Needham
80. Woodside Farm by Lucy Clifford
81. A spot of Bother by Mark Haddon
82. The Blood of the Isles by Brian Sykes
Updated 2nd January